Negotiators from the United States and Iran are reporting tangible movement toward ending months of conflict, with senior officials from both sides publicly acknowledging progress even as the White House maintains an aggressive posture on the brink of a potential agreement.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Saturday that developments regarding Iran could break within hours, though he offered no specifics. Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei told state media the gap between the nations has narrowed significantly but stopped short of declaring imminent resolution. "We are very far from and very close to an agreement," Baghaei said, characterizing the shift as creating space where "a solution may be possible."
President Trump described the odds more bluntly in a Saturday call with reporters, framing the outcome as coin-flip territory between striking a deal or military action. He said he would spend the weekend meeting with negotiators Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner before deciding Sunday whether to resume hostilities.
Trump indicated one possible framework involves a 60-day ceasefire with Iran, an idea that drew sharp criticism from the chair of the Senate Armed Services Committee. Senator Roger Wicker, a Mississippi Republican, posted on X that accepting such a temporary arrangement would be catastrophic, arguing it would undo gains from ongoing military operations. "Everything accomplished by Operation Epic Fury would be for naught," Wicker wrote.
The White House also plans a conference call Saturday with leaders from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Turkey, Jordan and Pakistan to brief them on the Iran situation, according to three regional officials briefed on the talks.
The two nations have maintained an uneasy ceasefire for nearly two months following a conflict that erupted in late February with coordinated U.S.-Israeli strikes on Iranian targets. The war has already taken a steep toll. The Pentagon estimates U.S. taxpayers have spent over $25 billion to date, and 13 American service members have been killed. Deaths across the region number in the thousands, including more than 3,000 in Iran alone.
Earlier this week Trump signaled optimism, saying a deal could materialize within days. He also revealed he had canceled a planned military strike on Iran after regional allies pressed him to continue negotiations. But he simultaneously issued a warning on Truth Social, telling military commanders to prepare for a "full, large scale assault" on Iran if talks collapse.
Oil markets have remained volatile throughout the standoff, and Trump's rhetoric has at times escalated tensions. In April he stated "a whole civilization will die tonight," underscoring how close the situation has come to catastrophic escalation.
Author Sarah Mitchell: "The distance between deal and war seems to hinge entirely on Trump's mood by Sunday afternoon, which is either reassuring or terrifying depending on your view of high-stakes brinkmanship."
Comments