Three people were shot and killed at the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday in an attack authorities are investigating as a hate crime. Two teenagers, ages 17 and 18, are suspected in the shooting and died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, according to authorities.
The largest mosque in the county and a central gathering place for worship and community events, the Islamic Center drew law enforcement in force as officers locked down the surrounding area. Parents arrived at a nearby reunification center to retrieve their children, many of whom attend the mosque's on-site school.
Maya, 13, stood beyond the police tape watching the armed officers patrol the streets. Her mother allowed her to speak to media as she grappled with the enormity of what had happened. "It doesn't feel real," she said, her teeth chattering despite the 70-degree California heat as she fielded messages from friends on her phone.
Maya's grandfather works as a security guard at the mosque. When news of the shooting broke, she immediately feared for his safety. She later learned he was not scheduled to work Monday. "He always works during this time. So just thinking like he could have been hurt today," she said, her voice breaking.
Among the three killed was another security guard, whom Maya knew from family gatherings and from Ramadan services. "He sacrificed his life to save everyone else's," she said of him.
Taha Hassane, an imam and director of the center, addressed the community Monday. "We have never experienced a tragedy like this before," he said. "It is a house of worship. It's not a battlefield."
Jesus, who asked to be identified by his first name only, had recently begun attending the mosque after moving to California from New York about a month ago. He was planning to visit Monday around noon but had a last-minute job interview instead. He received a WhatsApp message warning him not to come because shots had been fired.
He rushed to the mosque anyway and arrived to find police with rifles and people crying. "All I see is police running with guns and ARs, and people crying. And I just didn't know how to react," he said.
Despite the attack, Jesus said he would return as soon as the mosque reopened. "The Islamophobia going on in this country, that's not going to stop me from praying five times a day, it's not going to stop me from standing with my community," he said. "If anything, it's making me want to do it more."
The shooting forced a lockdown at Madison High School, located about a mile away. One of the suspected shooters reportedly had attended the school through an online course. Tommy, a 16-year-old student at the school, described sheltering in the cafeteria kitchen with other students and staff for about half an hour before receiving clearance to leave.
Tommy, who immigrated from Vietnam about a year and a half ago, said this was already the second lockdown his school had experienced this year. "It goes with the stereotypes that I have heard about America," he said as he looked out at the police tape and flashing lights.
Community and political leaders released statements condemning the attack and offering support to those affected. The mosque, a vital neighborhood institution serving as a place of worship and gathering for families across San Diego, remained closed as the investigation continued.
Author James Rodriguez: "A community's ability to rebuild after an attack like this depends entirely on whether institutions like this mosque can stay open and welcoming, not whether they stay shuttered in fear."
Comments