Gunfire erupts near White House as FBI, Secret Service mobilize

Gunfire erupts near White House as FBI, Secret Service mobilize

Multiple gunshots rang out near the White House on Saturday evening, sending journalists scrambling for cover and triggering an immediate federal response as the complex went into lockdown.

ABC News White House correspondent Selina Wang was recording a live report on Iran negotiations when the volley interrupted her broadcast. Video she posted showed her diving for shelter as what she described as dozens of gunshots echoed nearby. "We were told to sprint to the press briefing room, where we are holding now," Wang said.

NBC News correspondent Julie Tsirkin reported approximately 20 to 30 shots fired. A CBS News producer on scene estimated at least 20 rounds had been discharged in the incident.

FBI Director Kash Patel announced the bureau's involvement within minutes. "FBI is on the scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds, we will update the public as we're able," Patel posted.

The Secret Service acknowledged awareness of the reports, confirming they were responding to gunfire near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW and working with personnel on the ground to verify details.

President Donald Trump was in the Oval Office at the time of the incident but had not issued a statement regarding the gunfire as of reporting.

Author James Rodriguez: "Another security scare at the complex, and this one came with unmistakable audio evidence that rattled even seasoned White House reporters doing their jobs."

Comments