U.S. Charges Castro in 30-Year-Old Plane Downing as Military Postures in Caribbean

U.S. Charges Castro in 30-Year-Old Plane Downing as Military Postures in Caribbean

The Trump administration indicted Raúl Castro on Wednesday for murder and conspiracy to kill American citizens, bringing federal criminal charges against the 94-year-old former Cuban leader over the 1996 shooting down of two civilian aircraft that killed four people.

The indictment, announced in Miami by Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche, accused Castro and five fighter pilots of downing the planes operated by Brothers to the Rescue, a Cuban exile group. The charges were a dramatic escalation of the administration's pressure campaign against Cuba's government, coming as the aircraft carrier Nimitz and escort warships entered the southern Caribbean on the same day.

"My message today is clear," Blanche said at a news conference at the Freedom Tower. "The United States and President Trump does not and will not forget its citizens."

The indictment built on earlier charges filed in 2003 against one pilot and was secretly returned last month by a federal grand jury. Castro faced a maximum penalty of life in prison. The indictment said he bore responsibility because he and his brother Fidel were "the final decision makers" in the Cuban military chain of command when the planes fell on February 24, 1996.

Fidel Castro had claimed responsibility for downing the aircraft, saying Brothers to the Rescue had been dropping anti-regime leaflets over Havana. But enforcement actions had stalled for three decades until political momentum built in recent months, including a February letter from four Republican members of Congress asking the Justice Department to indict Raúl Castro.

The timing raised questions about whether the charges were a stepping stone to military action. Trump declined to confirm whether he would use force to extract Castro, telling reporters "I don't want to say that." Blanche sidestepped similar questions, saying the decision rested with the president and his foreign policy team.

However, Trump later told reporters there would be no escalation. "The place is falling apart, it's a mess," he said.

The Nimitz deployment appeared designed as a show of force rather than preparation for major operations, according to a U.S. official. The carrier had been conducting exercises with the Brazilian navy before redirecting to the Caribbean. The timing of its arrival on the same day as the indictment announcement, however, was not lost on observers.

The operation echoed the January military raid that captured Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, which had been preceded by an indictment. Cuba's ambassador to the United Nations, Ernesto Soberón Guzmán, characterized the charges as "a circus" designed to justify military aggression.

Castro's indictment followed an unusual visit by CIA Director John Ratcliffe to Cuban officials about a week earlier, where he warned the government to make economic changes and cease allowing Russian and Chinese intelligence operations on the island.

Maggie Khuly, sister of one of the four killed in 1996, called the charges bittersweet. "It's good in that justice seems to be progressing," she said. "It's bitter knowing it's taken 30 years."

Sylvia Iriondo, 85, one of the survivors who was in a plane that escaped the shootdown, recalled pilot José Basulto telling her "We're next" as he spotted smoke from the downed aircraft. She pulled out a rosary as he flew to safety in U.S. airspace.

Cuba's government issued a statement rebuking the charges, noting that the United States had "murdered nearly 200 people and destroyed 57 vessels in international waters" through military force, calling the indictment hypocritical.

An arrest warrant has been issued for Castro, though extradition from Cuba appears unlikely. Blanche said he expected Castro to eventually appear in the United States "by his own will or another way."

The news conference drew an unusual crowd of local officials, Cuban American politicians, and former prosecutors, underscoring the political dimensions of the prosecution.

Author Sarah Mitchell: "Thirty years is a long time to wait for justice, but the timing here screams politics over principle."

Comments