A federally appointed arts commission has cleared the way for construction of a towering triumphal arch in Washington, a major hurdle for one of the Trump administration's most ambitious architectural projects.
The US Commission of Fine Arts voted Thursday to approve designs for the 250-foot monument, officially titled the Arc de Trump, which would include a public viewing deck and be positioned near Arlington National Cemetery. The panel, composed of Trump appointees, signaled confidence in the project's aesthetic merit.
"Washington is not a static city," said Rodney Mims Cook Jr., the commission's chair. "It must grow to allow the next 250 years of Americans to celebrate their accomplishments." He characterized the structure as beautiful.
The approval marks a significant procedural advance. The National Capital Planning Commission, another federal oversight body responsible for federal buildings and land use, will review the design next month. That review represents the next required step before construction could proceed.
The administration has positioned the arch as a symbol of American achievement and sacrifice. Officials have said it will be "one of the most iconic landmarks not only in Washington DC, but throughout the world" and serve as a visual tribute to military service and freedom. The placement near Arlington National Cemetery is intended to honor what the administration calls the "noble sacrifices" of American armed forces across the nation's history.
The project faces legal opposition. Earlier this year, military veterans and historic preservationists filed a lawsuit challenging the arch's construction. They argue the structure lacks congressional approval and would harm the visitor experience at Arlington National Cemetery by obstructing the view toward the Lincoln Memorial. The Trump administration has maintained in court filings that it possesses the legal authority to build the monument.
Cost details remain pending. A White House official told reporters in April that construction expenses were still under calculation but would be announced soon. The administration expects funding through a combination of public and private sources.
The arch is one component of a broader Trump administration building agenda for Washington. The administration is also pursuing a ballroom at the White House and renovations to the reflecting pool on the National Mall. The same arts panel that approved the arch also cleared Trump's ballroom project earlier this year.
Author James Rodriguez: "This approval sets up a classic Washington showdown: federal panels giving the green light while veterans argue the entire project is legally dubious and culturally tone deaf."
Comments