Trump's Iran ultimatum: Days, not weeks, to reach deal or face new strikes

Trump's Iran ultimatum: Days, not weeks, to reach deal or face new strikes

President Trump issued a stark warning to Iran on Tuesday, declaring that military action could resume within days if Tehran fails to agree to terms he considers acceptable. The threat came after Trump revealed he had halted a fresh round of strikes just hours before they were set to begin.

"I was an hour away from making the decision to go today," Trump said, describing a moment when he chose to pull back from resuming hostilities that have been frozen since early April. The pivot appears driven partly by a new peace proposal submitted by Tehran through Pakistani intermediaries, and possibly by reservations from key regional allies including Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates.

Trump framed the coming days as a hard deadline. "Two or three days, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, something, maybe early next week," he said, warning of "a big hit" if no agreement emerged. He characterized Iranian leaders as "begging" to negotiate while maintaining that a deal centered on preventing Tehran from developing nuclear weapons remained non-negotiable.

The repeated warnings, however, have begun to lose force. Trump has made multiple threats in recent weeks without following through, creating a perception that the conflict has reached a stalemate neither side seems prepared to break. Neil Quilliam, a Middle East analyst at Chatham House in London, said bluntly: "Trump's threats have lost all credibility. Both sides are too far apart in terms of what they are willing to accept or work on but neither side want to go back to war. So they are just stuck and neither side really knows how to get out of this."

The talks that have occurred have yielded little progress. Since the ceasefire took effect, Tehran and Washington held only one round of direct negotiations: a grueling 21-hour session in Islamabad that ended without breakthrough. Pakistan, working as mediator, has shuttled successive proposals between the two capitals but complained that both are "changing their goalposts."

Iran's latest submission, according to state media, calls for comprehensive de-escalation across all fronts including Lebanon, withdrawal of US forces from positions near Iranian territory, and compensation for destruction caused by US and Israeli attacks. The Iranian government also demands that sanctions be lifted, frozen assets unfrozen, and the US naval blockade ended.

The position mirrors proposals Iran submitted previously, which Trump dismissed as "garbage." Iranian officials have characterized American demands as "excessive" and vowed that Tehran would not yield on what it considers core national interests.

Iran's military posture has hardened rather than softened during the ceasefire. A military spokesperson, Mohammed Akraminia, declared Tuesday that Tehran would continue to control the Strait of Hormuz, a chokepoint through which roughly a fifth of global oil and liquefied gas supplies flowed before the conflict. Iran has blocked most shipping there, while the US maintains its own blockade of Iranian ports.

Iran recently established the Persian Gulf Strait Authority to manage traffic through the waterway. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps has gone further, threatening to impose permits on internet fiber optic cables running beneath the strait, a move that could disrupt global digital communications.

Should fighting resume, Akraminia warned that Iran would "open new fronts" against American forces arrayed throughout the region. He claimed Tehran had used the ceasefire period to "strengthen its combat capabilities" and analysts expect Iran would intensify efforts to strike Israel and Gulf states, likely targeting vulnerable energy infrastructure and civilian installations.

The humanitarian toll of the conflict has been severe. Human rights monitors documented 4,023 arrests in Iran between late February, when the war began, and May 9. At least 3,636 people have died from US-Israeli attacks on Iran, including 1,701 civilians, according to the Human Rights Activists news agency. Iran has executed 26 men characterized as political prisoners since the war began.

A particularly controversial strike occurred on the first day of fighting at a school in Minab, southern Iran, killing 155 people according to Iranian authorities. On Tuesday, Admiral Brad Cooper, commander of US Central Command, defended the strike before Congress, stating the school sat on an active Iranian Revolutionary Guard missile base, making investigation of the incident "more complex than the average strike."

Economic pressures weigh on both sides. The Strait of Hormuz closure has sent oil prices soaring, fueling global inflation and recession fears. Further escalation could push prices higher and trigger stock market turmoil. For Iran, economic crisis deepens and officials worry that prolonged conflict could spark domestic unrest. Yet analysts see little willingness on either side to absorb the political costs of compromise required for a genuine settlement.

White House concern extends beyond the diplomatic impasse. Conflict that resonates poorly with American voters threatens Republican control of Congress at a moment when public anxiety over inflation and cost of living runs high.

Author James Rodriguez: "Trump's ultimatum has the hollow ring of tactics that have already failed, and neither side shows signs of budging on what matters most to them."

Comments