Activists shined a Founding Father's call for the rule of law directly onto the Justice Department headquarters Tuesday night, turning the building itself into a billboard against what they view as political retaliation disguised as compensation.
The projection featured a John Adams quote: "A government of laws, not of men." It was deliberately aimed at one of several large Trump banners that went up at Main Justice in February, creating a stark visual contrast between the founding principle and the current administration's actions.
The stunt was orchestrated by Justice Connection, a group founded by Stacey Young, a former Justice Department employee. Young called the underlying program an "$1.8 billion slush fund" and accused the Trump administration of weaponizing the department to protect allies while targeting enemies.
"We are standing up for the department's integrity and the rule of law," Young said outside the building. She characterized the DOJ as now operating "as an arm of the White House," describing the arrangement as "an extraordinary abuse of power" and "a sign that the rule of law is crumbling before our eyes."
Justice Connection pointed to the firing of prosecutors who worked on January 6 cases and anticipated "cash payments" to Capitol riot defendants as evidence the Trump administration has "shifted the country away from a system of laws and toward an era of lawlessness."
The fund stems from a settlement agreement with Trump, who sued the government over a $10 billion claim against the IRS for leaking his tax returns. He also pursued damages claims tied to the 2022 search of his Florida home and investigations into Russian interference in the 2016 election. The $1.776 billion fund was established to resolve those claims without ongoing litigation.
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche defended the program at a congressional hearing, explaining that the fund exists for anyone claiming to be a victim of government weaponization. He stressed that applicants face no guarantee of payment.
The five-member board overseeing payouts will be appointed by Blanche, with all members subject to Trump's removal. Congress will have input on one appointment.
The fund has drawn concern from both sides of the aisle. Senate Majority Leader John Thune, a South Dakota Republican, said Tuesday he was "not a big fan" of the arrangement. Democrats have been more openly critical, viewing it as a quid pro quo settlement that prioritizes Trump's grievances over taxpayer interests.
Associate Attorney General Stanley Woodward, who signed off on the deal, pushed back against early characterizations. "It's way, way, way too early to rush to judgment on whether this was a good or a bad idea, to describe it as a slush fund," he told reporters, noting that no claims had been filed or paid. "Come see us after we've made one of these so-called corrupt payments," Woodward said. He framed the fund as correcting "weaponization that was pervasive in the last administration."
Author Sarah Mitchell: "The visual rhetoric here cuts both ways, but what matters is what happens when the board starts cutting checks, and whether the money goes where it was supposed to go."
Comments